Background





Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apache, jam on it....jam on it...jam on it....

We had a CRAZY warm-up this spring in Michigan. I'm talking mid 80's!! So, the berries budded early and many farms worked all night when freezes came in mid May. Lucky for me, the strawberry farm we visited last year (Huhn Strawberry Farm in Eagle) had some late blooming! It's my first REAL week of vacation (no training, classroom is packed up!) so I grabbed my daughter and two of her friends and headed to pick berries! It was INSANELY hot this week (upper 80's to mid 90's) so we headed out at 9am. Last year the berries were NOT really sweet, but great for freezer jam. This year was completely different! The strawberries were gorgeous! Not only that, but they were delicious!! My helpers ate quite a FEW berries while picking:)
I made cherry freezer jam a few years back and was amazed at how EASY it was . Really, the hardest part is cutting all the cherries and getting out the pits! Last year I did strawberry jam and with my frugalness, had jam until April!! YUM!
So, I had big plans! Got some young ladies cutting and mashing!! Sent home a jar with each of the girls and still had 9 left!

The best part about freezer jam is it's EASY PEASY!! :)  Cut the berries, mash them (I leave them with big chunks). 2 cups berries, 4 cups sugar. Mix. Let sit for 10 minutes. Mix 3/4 c water and a packet of sure gel pectin in a pot, heat to boil, boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Add to strawberry mixture. Mix together. Then I put the jam in my glass measuring cup and pour into the jars. Let sit on the counter for 24 hrs, then it's off to the freezer for up to a year!! OR , you can put it right in the fridge to enjoy after the 24 hrs.

Hope you've got some fun summer plans up your sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment